The USCG Tamarack (WAGL/WLI-248) was built as a bay and sound
tender by the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, for
the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1934. She transferred to the control of
the Navy Department during World War II and in mid-1942 she was converted
for use as a submarine rescue vessel and a training ship for submarines.
She was transferred to Manitowoc as of 3 December 1942 where she served
during the remainder of World War II.
In late June, 1945, the USS Menhaden (SS-377) went out for her
sea trials on Lake Michigan, accompanied by the Tamarack. For one exercise,
the Tamarack signaled to the Menhaden, more than a mile astern, to do a
steep angle surfacing test. After the Menhaden dove to 275 feet, the Tamarack
expected her to surface 450 feet away.
Suddenly, 12 minutes later, with a roar, the Menhaden began
to surface 70 feet ahead of the Tamarack's bow!
With clanging bells, and orders for full speed astern, the Tamarack
managed to stop her forward advance just before she rammed into the Menhaden.
USS Menhaden (SS-377) on sea trials in Lake Michigan, June,
(Above Photos Taken by Harry Berns, Official Photographer of
the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company, Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Photos Courtesy
of Lyle Voss, CMoMM(SS), USS Darter (SS-227), 1943-44, and Menhaden, 1945-46,
who purchased them in June of 1945. Images Courtesy of John Mansfield,
Jr., RM2(SS), Menhaden, 1963-65)
USS Menhaden (SS-377) surfacing while on sea trials in Lake
Michigan, June, 1945.
(Photo Courtesy of John Mansfield, Jr., RM2(SS), Menhaden, 1963-65)
USS Menhaden (SS-377) returning to Manitowoc, Wisconsin, after
sea trials in Lake Michigan.
(Image Courtesy of Les Guille, Menhaden's Last Commanding Officer,